December 01, 2008

An Announcement Unlike Any Other

This past Thanksgiving weekend brought a great time to see family but also a special announcement for Desi and I. We planned to announce our plans for marriage! Well gather around children and let me tell you a story.......
Desi and I have been planning on telling my parents together, instead of me just telling them. Our plan was to take them out to dinner or ice cream and casually lead into the conversation. Olive Garden ended up being the location for the grand announcement! We had planned on me telling them and agreed that we should talk about me moving to Vegas first before talking about our plans for marriage. Well, this is what happened. After we sit down, we wait for that moment of silence where I can jump in and start talking, but it just wouldn't come. Then it happens, the perfect moment of silence to bring it all up. I start to talk about how I am going to move to Vegas right after Christmas and how I have a job lined up and everything. It started out great, I had a huge smile on my face and Desi's hand holding mine. All of that changes....the more I say, the more the mood changes. Dad gets quiet, my smile fades, dad gets mad, my smile disappears. Grandma starts to look uncomfortable and mom is just as quiet as the rest of us. We start to choke are food down as little comments are made in awkwardness until eventually dad just leaves the restaurant. I cant even begin to explain how I felt at that moment of an announcement so important to Desi and I and then to have everything crash and burn in our faces. And then to look over and see Desi, the girl I love, in tears as we sit there in the booth was well, absolutely crushing. Mom asks if there was anything else to announce and we tell her that we are planning on getting married. After mom goes out to try and calm dad down and get him back in the restaurant, I go out also. The way it all came out, made it sound that I was leaving school to move to Vegas and be close to Desi. We thought it would have been a little more obvious that we were getting married but I guess we thought wrong. After taking a minute to talk to dad and clear things up, a hug and some tears of excitement filled all our eyes. Then grandma and Desi came out of the Olive Garden and we had a big group hug as the excitement built more and more!! We went home and told the rest of the relatives and spread our excitement. This news has spread like a wildfire as Grandpa has made calls and told everyone before I could of the news. An official engagement will come soon and I will keep you all updated.

2 comments:

Chris, Jessica & Kael said...

Congrats! However I'm not gonna lie I am super jealous you are moving to Vegas I miss it :( but that's exciting! Have a good one!

Dustin & Kylee Nickerson said...

I just had to laugh and feel your pain all at the same time reading your blog post! Congrats to you and Desi! I think you will beat us to the alter! Ha ha!