February 16, 2012

Why We Cloth Diaper

When I first mentioned to Ryan that I was wanting to cloth diaper our unborn child he probably thought that it was just going to be one of my crazy ideas that I never follow through with. I'm sure he started to get really nervous when I actually started buying them...

I originally wanted to cloth diaper to save money. I was only going to cloth diaper at home and use disposables out in public. When Paisley was born I had bought seven FuzziBunz. At that time we were also using regular diapers such as Pampers and Huggies. Paisley would occasionally get a a red bottom but nothing to serious so I never thought anything of it; I would do as most mothers would do and put on some Butt Paste or Desitin and hope that it would be gone within the next day or so.

When Paisley was about three months old I started to notice that her diaper rashes were becoming more frequent and getting worse. I remember once changing her diaper and her bottom started to look as if it was starting to scab... Every time I would wipe her she would scream bloody murder. This made me feel so bad so I started to use my cloth diapers more often to see if that would make a difference, and it did. I decided to order more FuzziBunz because I was happy with those diapers and I wanted to stick with one brand (DO NOT DO THIS). Throughout the day I was keeping her in her cloth diapers and only when we would leave the house I would throw her in a disposable. When I got home I would immediately put her back in a cloth diaper to prevent any redness on her bottom. Even the smallest amount of time she was in a disposable she would start to have a reaction.

I finally came to the decision of becoming 100% cloth diapering for my new years resolution. Seeing her in pain wasn't worth it to me. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am with this decision to cloth diaper her.

Cloth diapering isn't for everyone, especially these days, but it never hurts to try. Look at the positives: You save a lot of money and the diapers are ten times cutter than any disposable, even the ones that look like Levi's.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Now you have to show me how they work, and what they look like inside. How messy is it to actually change? You just might sell me on these :)

By: Desi Muir said...

ya I am going to do that post tomorrow :)